Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hitchin' a RIde

Three weeks from today marks the beginning of my adventure. An adventure that takes me from my comfort zone of family and friends and throws me into an unknown world of people different in almost every way. From customs to religion it's a world far from what I'm used to. In no way is this a bad thing though. The world today has become so closed minded that it's becoming hard to see anyone's views that differ even in the slightest. Not even between countries, but people in each other's backyards. I don't want to be one of those people. I want to honestly be able to say I've experienced and lived a life where at times I had to start from scratch.

When I first came to Marshall, I didn't know anyone. My parents dropped me off on the first day of band camp and I was alone for probably the first time in my life. From there I built myself a brand new person. It's time to do that all again.. but on a slightly larger scale. It's time to give up what I know and learn something new. I've been in contact with one of the music professors through email so there will be at least a familiar name, but at the same time emails hardly can be considered personal contact. 

Am I scared? I'd be lying if I said I wasn't. Not that I'll get lost, or end up at the wrong school or anything. I'm worried about fitting in. You can dress me in hijab and teach me Arabic, but I'll always stand out like a sore thumb. I'm a Westerner, Christian and pale as a ghost; and for those reasons, some people from the Middle East will immediately resent me. I'm going to try my hardest to fit in and adapt to their culture and little slips is my biggest fear. I'm afraid I will do something we would consider normal that will offend someone. 

I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

I'm already starting to miss all of my friends. Marshall's semester began on Monday and I'm sitting at home alone all day. I'm going back to Marshall for just under two weeks on Tuesday to see everyone a few more time, but the reality that those will be my last two weeks with some friends is making me rather sad. I won't be back in the states until mid to late June and by that time several of my friends will be graduated and moved away. I hope to stay in contact, but the reality is, it probably won't happen for very long. :-( I guess that's just life, thought.

For now,
This is my ticket to ride  

No comments:

Post a Comment