Saturday, February 12, 2011

Last Day of Freedom

So classes start tomorrow.. on a Sunday. I'm not sure how long it's going to take to get used to that; maybe by the end of the semester.. maybe not. But none the less, today was a great day. We took a bus to the metro station and the metro to the Mall of the Emirates. That mall is beautiful, just like all of the others. This is the mall with the ski resort, which is pretty awesome. I'll be back sometime soon to actually go skiing or snowboarding.


We stayed at the mall for a while, then took the train to the textile souk. A souk is like a market. It's a bunch of little stores selling anything and everything. The first one mostly sold clothes and textiles. After that one, we went to the spice souk which had tons of amazing spices. They also sold tons of other stuff too, but the spices were what they were known for. Here is a picture I stole from Axel.


We walked and walked and walked (someone with a pedometer said 17,000 steps today!) and saw some pretty cool things. We took this nifty little boat (it has a special name, but I don't remember what it's called) and it only cost a dirham each way across the river(or gulf, or lake, or whatever it actually is)! That's 27 cents. Also before we left we sat down at this little outside cafe and had some tea. It was a very nice night, quite chilly, actually. But in all, a very nice day.

I came home and my new roommate was here. We haven't talked much, but I'm sure we'll get to know each other soon.

Unfortunately, classes start tomorrow. I have steel design, thermodynamics and intro to aerospace engineering. Shouldn't be too bad since it's the first day. But I'm sure will be very interesting. 

Well, I don't have too much to write about for now, but I'm sure I'll have a lot tomorrow!







No comments:

Post a Comment